Construction is underway at the Public Services Department Operations Center for the Town of Mount Pleasant, SC, which includes modern facilities to accommodate a larger fleet maintenance building, yard debris transfer facility and office space for town employees. The first of six underground detention systems was recently installed by Celek & Celek Construction Inc. (132 pieces of Retain-it modules) in “One and a half days.”
CP&P began discussion with the design team at Davis and Floyd in November of 2020, and the Retain-it underground detention system was an ideal fit for the project. CP&P and Retain-it staff worked with the design team and final submittals were approved for construction in January of 2022.
Design parameters (total system):
• Designed to attenuate total storm water volume of 89,102 CUFT
• 6 independent structures interconnected with pipes for equalization
• Engineer elected to divide system up and place under parking areas to avoid structures and traffic islands per TOMP requirements
• TOMP prefers concrete pipe and structures, they liked the fact that the Retain-it is designed for H-20 loading with a minimum of 12” cover. Heavy trucks carrying waste and debris will use the facility
• Variable rise available in Retain-it structures allowed engineer to design with 3’ or 4’ interior rise units in order to fit the required volumes into available spaces.
• Each system sealed water tight with a PVC liner to contain only storm water that falls on site and prevent ground water from entering
Trident Construction (General Contractor for the project) Superintendent stated that Retain-it would be their preferred system moving forward.